Pages

Friday, February 8, 2013

Right-sizing objective reality

In my regular practice as a budding paradigm mechanic people often pass the office door complaining about a bad case of objective reality.  The claim usually goes something like this:

"Well, you see, doc, I am certain that objective reality exists, but I can't find any proof of it anywhere.   And, well, the more I look, the more I become dis-heartened, and, truthfully, I start snapping at people who believe something different and don't seem to have ANY major problem with objective reality whatsoever.  How can that BE?  It's maddening, and, well, a little bit frightening, too. Oh yeah.  The problem seems to be getting worse."

"Tell me about it," I say, "And just, for the record,  how long has this been a problem for you?" I ask as I wonder if they might be more able to listen and hear if the issue is described as an unfortunate infection or inflammation perhaps picked up in an academic bathroom, or more like a troublesome cyst or currently only a small benign  brain tumor.

 After listening for a while to all of the convoluted symptoms and the greatly complexified secondary rationalizations, I usually develop a feeling that I can't contain and compulsively blurt out something to the effect of...

"So what you're telling me is you are suffering from a delusion, or having some type of rational hallucination as a direct result of you believing and trying to operate upon a false belief, do I have that right?"

Never once in all the long, long years of my practice has anyone ever replied with a hearty 'Yes!' on the first go around.  And, paying homage to the values of our denial, suppression and resistance  I expect it is completely unreasonable to expect it could ever be any other way.   But, in any event the wedge has been set and the IV has been started. 

Often, I write a few words on a scrap of paper and roll it up and give it to them in a capsule  -- no charge, of course -- and ask them to take it two times a day until their case has cleared up.

Invariably, or so I would like to believe, the person will, in fact, recover and move into improved mental, emotional, and spiritual health.  It's apparently got something to do with reducing error.


The curative incantation?  Often, it is simply:  "Repeatable subjectivity".  Look for it in a pill capsule near you.

Best regards,
Ralph Frost

http://twitter.com/frostscientific

With joy you will draw water
from the wells of salvation. Isaiah 12:3

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment